Monday, July 2, 2012

34 week appt update

I had my regular OB appt today and was hoping for some reassurance from last weeks peri appt, no such luck.

I first had the ultrasound and Joe said he's grown but is still behind by same rate as Thursday. He's grown to 1818 grams (4 lbs) and is still 7th percentile.
I also lost 2 pounds from Thursday(no bueno!)

Dr. B walked in and said there's just no sugar coating this. He's behind and it's not looking good. He is having to make energy choices because my placenta isn't providing him with what he needs. Right now he is deciding to protect his major organs and grow his brain (thats why his head is still measuring within range) this is called asymmetrical IUGR. There's a fine line we have to walk. She said at some point soon she will look at me and say he's safer outside vs. inside. Could be today, could be tomorrow, could be in 2 weeks. Right now he needs to stay inside, he's still growing slowly, moving and practicing his breathing. We will be lucky to get 2 more weeks out of me but that's the goal.

I go to the high risk doc at the hospital on Thursday for another growth scan and umbilical artery scan to look at the blood flow restriction. Then return to Dr B on Monday for a repeat growth scan. She told me to have my bags packed and bring with me at both appts in case they decide to deliver :( she even had my appt on Monday scheduled for 1st thing in morning so if we need to induce we can get an early start, that doesn't sound hopeful!

I'm nervous for this little guy, I definitely don't want him at risk inside me nor to see him in the nicu. I'm reminding myself often that we will do whatever for healthy! If that means time in nicu, I just don't know how I'm gonna leave him there, might camp out if I have to!

Praying no nicu!
The Macs

1 comments:

Ashley said...

So sorry to hear! I hope he will continue to grow some and continue to stay inside long enough to not need NICU time. Praying for you guys!