Sunday, October 19, 2008

20 Weeks - Halfway there

Although I considered last week my halfway point because I'm going to be induced early this is officially the halfway point, 20 weeks! I can't believe I'm halfway there...seems like just yesterday we found out we were expecting.

Brody has been very busy today, kicking and punching my insides and I'm loving every minute of it. Sometimes you can even see the kicks from the outside and it's so strange! He's definitely been getting into a routine. He's up around 7:30 am to about 9:00 and then I think my students annoy him and he sleeps pretty much the entire day unti about 4:00. This is his most active time. He will play for about 2 hours and then call it quits until about 9pm where he plays a little more while I'm getting ready for bed. Today he's been up all day!

My contractions have tapered off. I had 2-3 on Friday night and only one last night. They are also not nearly as strong as they were earlier this week.

Tomorrow we go back to the doctor for our 20 week check-up and ultrasound scan where they will be measuring everything on the baby. I'll update with pictures and hopefully a video! I'm also getting my first flu shot tomorrow...I've never had one even though I've gotten the flu every year for the past 5 years...so here's to hoping I won't get the flu this year!

Here's Brody's growth this week:
Congratulations! This week marks the half way point of your pregnancy. It has been 18weeks since the date of conception and your baby's crown-to-rump length is 5.6 to 6.4inches. The fetus weighs about 9 ounces and your belly definitely has an obvious bulge. Your baby's skin begins to thicken this week and will develop four layers. Your baby's sebaceous glands secrete a waxy substance called vernix caseosa. Your baby will be born with this wax and it will look like paste. The vernix caseosa is crucial because it protects the fetus' fragile skin from the continuous immersion in amniotic fluid. Lanugo hairs secure the vernix caseosa in place and it is thick around the eyebrows. Scalp hair and toenails are beginning to form at this point. Hair can also be seen on the upper lip and eyebrows.

Til tomorrow,
LeAnn

2 comments:

Uncle D and Aunt J said...

It does seem like just a few weeks ago that you let us know that BabyM was on his way and now you're already 1/2 way there. A friend at church who grew up with Brandon asked about ya'll today and I was sharing that you had started having Braxton Hicks and she advised that she had the same during one of her pregnancies. Can't wait to see the new pictures after your visit tomorrow.

Ashley said...

Woohoo... half way there! That is so exciting!

I am glad to hear that your contractions have started to slow down.

Baby Brody will be here before you know it!