Friday, January 1, 2010

Happy New Year & Tubes


Happy 2010, so weird to say 2010! We rang in the New Year in bed and asleep by 11:30 pm! It was a very rough day for us and emotionally draining for me.

Brody got his tubes yesterday. We woke up early, 5 am and got ready for the hospital. We checked in at 7 am and had to sit in the playroom for 2 hours! It was torture on me. First of all they have this surgery booklet that they give parents and it says NO SIBLINGS and only 2 adults per child yet they don't follow that. I was very frustrated because it was very packed in the "holding room" that they call playroom and people do not understand the meaning of personal space. I'm also a germ freak and wouldn't let Brody play with any of the toys because (A) they don't wash those toys from child to child (B) that's just gross especially when your little hands need to be clean for surgery.

Brody did amazingly well. I was so proud of him for having to sit there hungry for 2 hours. We finally got called back and Brandon went to the waiting room while Brody and I went to the happy juice room where they put this stuff up his nose to relax. About 5 minutes later they took my baby back and I didn't even shed a tear. I was so proud of myself. I stopped on the way to the bathroom and then found B in the waiting room. Not 5 minutes later the doc was out saying they were all done. He said he had a ton of fluid in both ears but they cleaned all that out and put the tubes in.

10 minutes later they were calling us back to recovery where I immediately heard Brody screaming his head off. This continued for about 45 minutes. He couldn't open his eyes or calm down. He was throwing himself all over the place and his heartrate was around 210-215. It was so sad. He just couldn't wake up or go back to sleep. So they got 2 doctors back there to check on him and gave him a shot in the leg and some more happy juice. He was so upset if we tried to put a blanket on him or even touch him he would start throwing himself around. I held it together and tried to comfort Brody as much as possible until the nurse said I was really getting beat up, that of course made me cry. I just didn't understand why he was fighting it so much. He finally feel back to sleep for another 30 minutes and slowly woke up to his normal self sucking down some apple juice and then finally nursing.

He slept most of the day and didn't get back to his normal self until about 9 pm last night.

I'm so glad that this is over and done with and will hopefully never have to go through this again!

I'm looking forward to an ear infection free 2010 and can't wait to see what this year has in store for us.

0 comments: