Saturday, February 18, 2012

RSV, Walking Pneumonia, Ear Infection, oh my!

This has been a week from hell! It all started last Friday when daycare called and said Jaxson couldn't stop coughing. I assumed it was his asthma flaring up as it had been windy outside so I went over to give him some Motrin until we could get home to start his albuterol treatments. It went downhill from there and that night he started running fever and continued until Monday. His fever was anywhere from 100-103, a terrible cough and wheezing. So off to the dr we went and I can say that I knew it wasn't good bc of how terrible Jaxson looked, his sweet little eyes looked so bad. Dr. J said he had a lot of crackling in his lungs and ordered a chest X-ray, flu test and CBC. It showed he had walking pneumonia caused by the RSV which we later learned had spread throughout his classroom that weekend. I believe 7 out of 10 kids in his class all came down with it at the same time. We were given a steroid, antibiotic and breathing treatments every 3 hours.

It was touch and go and we weren't seeing any improvements until Wednesday night when his breathing finally became better. We spent restless nights with Jax having coughing spells, labored breathing and times where he couldn't clear the mucus and would choke! It was horrible. He's been slowly feeling better day by day until today when he came down with an ear infection! My poor baby just can't catch a break :( he cries out in pain for a hour until we can get some Motrin and ear drops on him, luckily I had some on hand.

I'm hoping in a few more days he will be 100%, fingers crossed!

0 comments: