Thursday, August 26, 2010

In the hospital

I have landed in the hospital today. I really wish it hadn't come to this but we all know I'm not the one in charge. Like I've said before I've been living hourly this past week just trying to make it through each day. It seems one hour can be good and the next can be total opposite.

I didn't sleep real good last night, I just couldn't seem to fall asleep but luckily Brody slept in til 8:45 and that is when I do my best sleeping :) We got up and Nana was waiting to take him to her house for the day. I made some breakfast and hooked up to my contraction monitor for my morning session. I noticed I was having quite a few contractions and was feeling a lot more pressure. I also had the urge to go to the bathroom with each contraction but when I got up and went that urge disappeared as the contraction eased up. This feeling hasn't happened to me in the past so I took note of it for the home care nurse when she called. I always know when I have a bad strip because they call me within minutes of sending it. Well the nurse called pretty quickly and informed me that I had 17 contractions in that hour of monitoring. We went over the usual instructions: upped my terb dosage, give myself a demand dose, hydrate as much as possible in next 30 minutes, lay on left side and remonitor for another hour. I explained the feelings I was feeling and she said she would see how I did in the next hour. Well about 10 minutes later she called back and said she went ahead and called Dr. B because she was concerned with such an increase in contraction activity and Dr. B wanted to see me.

So in we went, thank goodness for my mom because I was just going to go by myself but she insisted that she come get me and take me in. They wanted to check my urine to make sure I didn't have the start of an infection that could be causing the contractions and that looked good. Dr. B also checked my cervix and said it's dilated to a 1 internally but externally still closed but very soft. She then informed me that I was going to be admitted to the hospital because everything else just isn't working.

She started me on steroid to help the baby's lungs develop, I'm on IV fluid and a form of IV motrin(it has another name but can't remember what it was called) I then get motrin by mouth every 6 hours for a maximum of 3 days because he can have an effect on Jaxson. It can lower his fluid level and cause a reverse blood flow within his heart. So she wants to monitor him closely while on this. The reason behind the motrin is that its been proved to relax the uterus a great deal and stop contractions but it just can't last long term because of the negative consequences to baby. But she wanted to try this until I get the steroids in me. After the 3 days are up I don't know what the game plan is. I'm assuming she will let me know.

Please say a prayer that we stay put for a couple more weeks so that Jaxson has more time to grow and develop.

The only pic I took today was of my IV, it took forever for them to get this started and they tried in 3 different spots. IV's are the worse and was the one thing I hated most about having Brody, I think it was worse than the epi and pushing him out!!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So sorry you're not feeling well. Prayers for Jaxson to keep baking for a few more weeks! :)

Ashley said...

Oh Leann. I'm sorry the terb pump was not able to keep things under control. I know this situation is certainly not ideal, but at least everything with Jaxon is looking good. I hope they can get things under control in the hospital and you will be able to go home to be with Brody soon!