Monday, July 14, 2008

Bummed

That pretty much sums it up. I have some good news and bad news as far as what the doctor had to say today. The good news is that my beta came back really good, in fact pretty high! For 26 DPO it was at 27,462 which could put me in the twins region but then again could just be a very healthy pregnancy. They said that high betas could indicate a twin pregnancy but then again it could just be a singleton. We will know more on Thursday when I go in for my 2nd ultrasound.

Now to the bad news. My dad got diagnosed with Factor V Leiden. I'm sure y'all don't know what that is because it's only been around for 10 or so years. But here's the basic info:

Factor V Leiden is not a disease, it is the presence of a particular gene that is passed on from your parents. Factor V Leiden is a variant of the protein Factor V(5) which is needed for blood clotting. People who have a Factor V deficiency are more likely to bleed badly while people with Factor V Leiden have blood that has an increased tendency to clot. People carrying the Factor V Leiden gene have a five times greater risk of developing a blood clot (thrombosis) than the rest of the population. So pretty much if you have Factor 5 your blood clots more which leaves you with a higher risk of blood clots.

My dad had a clot when he was in his twenties that nearly took his life and did serious damage to his leg. For the past 18 months, up until January, he has been battling smaller blood clots in his foot that has been causing damage to his viens and tissue. Well, when he was diagnosed two years ago with this I got tested(so I thought) to make sure I didn't have it. The doctor told me I was clear and didn't have Factor 5.

When I went to the doctor on Friday and was telling the nurse my family history the doctor wanted my blood test sent over. Come to find out the doctor had tested me for the wrong thing and I never was tested for Factor 5. So my OB tested me for it today to see if I have it. Luckily she caught the fact that I was given the wrong test! I should have the results in 7 - 10 days. Until they rule this out I'm considered high risk and will be given ultrasounds to check on the baby and make sure there aren't any blood clots endangering the baby. My next one is this Thursday.

I'm extremely frustrated! The whole reason I went to get tested was to prevent anything from happening while being pregnant. Now, our baby might be at risk for something that should have been prevented. I know doctors make so much money and I know I pay out the booty for health insurance so when a patient presents you with something you would think that you would take 2 seconds out of your day to make sure you are giving the right test and to make sure your patient is taken care of! URGH! I know that with all the genetic testing going on it's very hard to know what's what and to know which test are the correct one to give but isn't that why I pay them so much! I'm so thankful for my new doctor and the care she has given me! I'm so glad she just didn't take my word that I was tested and she took it one step further for me.

I know this is in God's hands and all I can do right now is pray that I don't have this or if I do I can begin the heprin shots(yuck!) so that my baby is ok. If this is the road he wants me to go down then I'm ok with that. He won't give me any more than I can handle and he knows what is right for me and my family.

When my dad got diagnosed with this I did a lot of research, so luckily I know about all the major problems with Factor 5 and pregnancy. The main one is that blood clots can form around the baby and/or umbilical cord which would kill the baby. The risk for me would be severe preeclampsia and I believe there's a problem with taking heprin the last 2 months of pregnancy in case of csection and bleeding while on a blood thinner. But lets not worry about all those details until we get the results back!! By the way did I mention I hate needles :) Guess B will have to be giving me the shots if it comes down to that!!!

I will update y'all as soon as I find anything out. Hopefully we can get some pics of this little guy/girl on Thursday!

Take care,
LeAnn

2 comments:

marcy said...

I am praying specifically that you and B will have peace knowing that, whatever the results, your Savior loves you and has a perfect plan for you and your family. Also praying that results are negative for F5. I love you guys.

The Sasser Family said...

Praying for you guys and your little one. My numbers were very high when we found out I was pregnant and they said it was just a good healthy pregnancy...praying the same for you!