Sunday, August 31, 2008

13 Weeks



I’m done with my first trimester and entering the 2nd!! So exciting. I can’t believe I'm already done with all the yucky morning sickness and all the adjustments that come with being pregnant. I am so thankful and luckily that I really didn't have it that bad and never threw up. I can honestly say that I'm adjusting to the energy level and each day feel I'm getting more and more back. I've heard the 2nd trimester is the best so I highly look forward to that. I’m so happy to be back at work, it’s going to make time fly. I really haven’t done much this week except work and come home and go to bed.

A funny story that B wants me to share is that Friday night our beauty sleep was interrupted at 3 am. Apparently, I was having a very vivid dream and I shot straight up in bed and screamed I can’t breathe! I mean I screamed it. B of course was sound asleep, it woke him up and he was mumbling UH, WHAT, WHO…once we BOTH figured out what was going on we sat in bed for about 10 minutes laughing and saying what the heck!! I remember the dream very clearly. We were at a birthday party (whose I don’t know) and my dad was chasing me around with silly string and spraying my face…I seriously woke up hyperventilating and screaming. I’ve never done that! B and I got a great kick out of it and chalked it up to a pregnancy thing.

Here’s what’s going on with the baby this week: Your baby is growing rapidly; its growth is particularly noticeable from now through about 24 weeks. The baby has doubled in length since the 7th week, measuring at 2½ to 3 inches long and weighing at about ½ and ¾ oz (13-20g) roughly the size of a peach. Changes in the fetal weight have also been tremendous during the last 8-10 weeks of pregnancy. One interesting change is the slowdown in growth of baby's head compared to the rest of the body. By week 21 the head is about one third of the baby's body and at birth baby's head is only ¼ the size of its body. Baby's body accelerates in growth as the fetal head slows down in growth. Baby's face is more human like now; eyes that started out at the sides are now closer together on the face. External genitalia have developed enough so a male can be distinguished from a female baby. Your baby's vocal cords have begun to form. Your baby's hand is structurally complete and consists of 27 bones held together by a complex network of ligaments. Similarly baby's foot is also completely formed with the toes, heel and bones all in place.

We go to the high risk OB on Friday afternoon to discuss Factor V and Lovenox (the blood thinner). The problem with Factor V is that it was just found 10 years ago and is a real gray area for the doctors. So there’s no typical protocol on what to do and research/stats are limited. I will update when I know more.
Here’s this week’s belly pic:
13 weeks

7 weeks for comparison:


Also have to say Happy Birthday to my DAD! We celebrated his birthday today by going out and getting him a nice new flat screen HD tv. Love ya dad and hope you had a great day!
Have a great week!
LeAnn

2 comments:

Nana said...

Look how big my little 'Baby Emma' is growing! Glad you are feeling better and getting your energy level back.

Ashley said...

LeAnn,

I am a friend of Sam's. She told me we were due close to one another and I could find your blog on Mandy's.

I have a due date of March 10th. I just wanted to say hi and let you know that I will be following along with your blog.

Good luck with the appointment tomorrow. I hope you guys will get some good information from the doctor.

Take care!

Ashley