Friday, August 1, 2008

Hypo hopefully not hippo

Well, I talked to the nurse today and I have hypothyroidism. Normal levels of TSH(thyroid hormone) is between 0-1, mine was a 7.5. If it's a positive you are hypo, a negative hyper. So hopefully this hypothyroid won't turn me into a hippo! Here's some info I got:
Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid) is a condition in which your thyroid gland doesn't produce enough of certain important hormones. Women, especially those older than 50, are more likely to have hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism upsets the normal balance of chemical reactions in your body. It seldom causes symptoms in the early stages, but over time, untreated hypothyroidism can cause a number of health problems, such as obesity, joint pain, infertility and heart disease. Early signs of hypothyroidism may include:
Fatigue
Sluggishness
Increased sensitivity to cold
Constipation
Pale, dry skin
A puffy face
Hoarse voice
An elevated blood cholesterol level
Unexplained weight gain
Muscle aches, tenderness and stiffness
Pain, stiffness or swelling in your joints
Muscle weakness
Heavier than normal menstrual periods
Brittle fingernails and hair
Depression
There have been studies that suggest that babies born to women who have hypothyroidism can have lower brain development and motor skills but I talked with my doc about this and she said that she thinks my thyroid is low because the baby is taking all of it so I need a little help, she doesn't think the baby has been deprived of this horomone therefore this hasn't hurt the baby(thank goodness) I didn't have any symptoms prior to pregnancy of hypothyroidism so therefore this has probably been caused by my pregnancy and will hopefully clear up after birth. But if not all I have to do is take a little pill in the mornings to regulate my levels. She will monitor my blood levels very closely to ensure my levels go back to normal and adjust meds accordingly. We still haven't heard on the F5 or Protein C test results so hopefully I will get those back in the next week. Please pray that those are negative and that this hasn't affected our baby's development in anyway.

Until next time
LeAnn

3 comments:

Leah said...

LeAnn,
I am thinking about you as you wait for the results of the F5. Hope you are starting to feel better, and oh by the way, CONGRATS to you and Brandon since I have not talked to you since you found out you were pregnant. Let me know if you need anything, remember I'm not that far!!! Talk to you soon
Leah W.

Unknown said...

My hypothyroidism started during my pregnancy and my son is brilliant...so do not worry. He is 22 and suffers no effects. I was very, very ill with it: lost almost all my hair, lost eyebrows, gained a lot of weight, and felt depressed. Taking Synthroid did not help much. I switched to Armour Thyroid and what a difference! A site that helped me was stopthethyroidmadness.com

If it were not for them, I would probably be dead.

Also make sure your doctor checks your Ferritin levels and checks you for antibodies to make sure that you do not have Hashi's.

Stay away from soy products! They inhibit thyroid function and many over the counter cold and allergy medicines can gie us bad reactions.

Make sure you understand how to take your medicine away from food and vitamins so as not to counter the effects of it.

Good luck!

Blankenship Babbles said...

Hippo...Yeah right...Man...I go one day without checking out your blog and I come to this :/ I'm so sorry girl...but it's a good thing they picked it up on all the bloodwork and are getting you on some meds...I would bet it is the pregnancy that is causing it and after Baby Mac is out safely you will be A-Ok!!! Try not to worry too much, sounds like it's all under control (you worry, yeah right!!!) Praying for you always...

Mandy